Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Just a thought

Last Sunday during the beginning of the morning service we were singing several choruses and hymns. As usual my preference in church is to sing the traditional songs that I grew up with and that have a truth and meaning to them, more than so many newer 7/11 songs...you know, seven words sung 11 times?! Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked and you don't want to get me started on that topic!

Well, one of the songs was 'Christ Liveth in Me' and I was struck by some of the words I've been singing my whole life! I hate being caught singing the words without knowing what I'm really saying and paying attention, but it happens often....Here is the chorus and the second verse that really got me -

Christ liveth in me,
Christ liveth in me,
Oh! What a salvation this,
That Christ liveth in me.

As rays of light from yonder sun,
The flowers of earth set free,
So life and light and love came forth,
From Christ living in me.

Those lines in bold really struck me - is that really what comes forth? If I look over the past month, the past week, the past 24 hours of my life did life and light and love come forth? Not hardly! I failed more than I can tell you - I makes mistakes more often than I get things right - I choose the wrong way so many times - I'm weak so much more of the time than I'm strong! What to do....?

So, yet again, I ask the Lord for more of His unending forgiveness and patience. I ask that I'd be like a little teapot when it boils over, that it would be apparent that Christ lives in me and His live and love and light would come forth.