Sunday, September 21, 2008

FOM Conference

A week ago Friday we packed up our family and headed up to Oshoto, WY to the Bergs house. A couple months ago they insanely agreed to watch all of our kids for us while we went Ohio for a Fellowship of Missions Conference (FOM). Saturday morning early we left and headed to the Rapid City airport and flew out to Cleveland - via MSP. After a sickening flight (!) we arrived safely with our luggage, as well as my stomach contents, intact.


FOM is an organization made up of many mission boards, colleges, and a few other Christian organizations that are considered fundamental Bible believers. It seeks to be an aide to mission organizations in many areas including accountability, advice to new missions, encouragement to its members, etc. Last year they voted to accept NTI and this year was our first one as an official part of FOM. The conference was 2-fold - Saturday and Sunday night was the CEO retreat that was completely paid for by an anonymous donor. It was a more relaxed, personal time and very encouraging for us a younger couple and a young mission. For Monday and Tuesday night we switched gears and had a more formal time of seminars and evening services with a focus on leadership and other topics helpful to keeping an organization up and running. There were a couple split sessions with topics geared specifically for women and I have to say there were very beneficial for me!

But if I'm completely honest I must confess that, after alone time with my hubby, my favorite thing was spending time with my Mom. My parents were there representing their mission and we got to spend a lot of time together. Not only that but also Uncle Terry and Aunt Carol were there! The Thompsons are my best friends parents and I grew up with them on the missionfield - they are just as much a real part of my family as any other relative.

So, we had a great time and thank the Lord for the opportunity to go and the points to purchase our 2 plane tickets for free! It was refreshing and motivating in many ways. We were encouraged in our endeavor with Nehemiah Teams International like never before by people who had once been in our shoes. And I did not take one single picture....my Mom took this one 5 minutes before we pulled out of the driveway=) We arrived Wednesday evening into Rapid and then drove up to Oshoto where the kids had been allowed to stay up late in anticipation of Mommy and Daddy getting back. The next day Jared and Sarah asked us to stay (they must still like us) so we recouperated from our trip and spent some enjoyable time together and came home Friday morning. I think I'm finally ready for Monday!

0 comments: