Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas....and other stuff

My husband reminded me yesterday that I hadn't written anything on the blog in a week...well, I guess the blog was just one more thing I've been taking a break from right now=) Although, as the kids enjoy time off school I spent most of the day yesterday doing the lesson planning for this upcoming semester. It's actually one of my favorite 'home schooling things' to do and I feel a great sense of accomplishment when it is done and another semester is planned and organized.

We have been laying low and not doing much of anything too drastic. We've passed our time this last week going sledding, rearranging and rehanging lots of pictures (Matthew's favorite job), and doing other odds and ends around the house.

Christmas was a really fun day. Unfortunately the pictures I took aren't even worth posting so you will just have to imagine the faces of the kids as they unwrapped their presents. Matthew said his favorite part was watching Alana open her stocking - she exclaimed with great enthusiasm over each and every item, even those that she didn't know what they were! (Side note- I plan to use that in the future as a bargaining chip - you see I went against a Chamberland tradition this year....The tradition that has carried over from Matthew's childhood and with our kids is this - late Christmas Eve when we finally head to bed the stockings are placed at the foot of the kids beds. What happens next is usually a 2 or 3 am wakeup by the kids and they open their stockings and then TRY to get back to sleep, hopefully this all takes place without waking up their parents. Well, I put in my request and it was granted so that we could do things the way I always did growing up and we all open our stockings together first thing on Christmas. After having so much fun packing the stockings and getting little things that I think each specific child will like I HATE missing out on watching them open it and discover everything. Back to what I was saying....) We enjoyed a yummy and QUICK breakfast after stockings and then opened our presents. The kids all had their favorite gifts and Uncle Chad and Uncle Kendrick made things fun for them as they usually do.

For lunch another family joined us - Phil and Charlotte Shively. They are new to our church and have come to the area, after several years on the mission field in Papua New Guinea, to work at Cornerstone Bible Institute. We had a great time of fellowship and fun with them and our kids had a blast playing with their 3 boys. My parents are coming up in a couple weeks and we will have another 'mini' Christmas with them so our fun isn't quite over yet!
Sometimes lying on the floor is all you can do after so much time spent having fun!
Christmas Eve we also enjoyed a service at our church - we sang some carols and had communion, a fitting 'celebration' since this time of celebrating His birth we can also remember the reason that He came....to sacrifice Himself on the cross, taking our sin upon Him, to give us the precious gift of eternal life. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas as much as we did and I hope you, too, can know the true meaning of happines because of a life given over to God.

0 comments: