Friday, May 15, 2009

Anniversaries and other things

A big celebration that took place during our time here was the 60th Wedding Anniversary of my Rozelle grandparents. Friday night, May 1st, almost all of our family was able to be together and celebrate with them (missing was my cousin Tammy, and her family). Although our family is glad for them to arrive at this point we're not shocked by it or blown away by the fact that they made it this far - but at the same time, in this world, we do realize the miracle of this event. Sixty years together and in the service of the Lord is a great way to honor their Savior.

My mom and Aunt Deanna, sister's-in-law, serving the cake.
Our family together with my grandparents.
My grandparents with their children and their spouses - my mother is their daughter-in-law twice over=)
We also were able to spend time with all those in our family that live so far away from us - a total of 8 children have been born into the family since we left and moved to SD. Here's Monica with the newest one, Maggie, my cousin Heather's daughter. I got some pictures, but not very good ones, of other family members so I apologize to those who don't show up here=(Mom bought matching dresses for her two youngest granddaughters and we took several pictures.

The next afternoon was the family reunion where, once again, I did a poor job with pictures and missed capturing lots of my relatives on film. The kids played outside most of the time while the adults stayed inside and visited or played games. I felt myself growing rather lethargic as the afternoon wore on so I suggested we go outside and play something...anything...just to get moving. What followed was a great game of Ultimate Frisbee and we all had a blast - I did anyway. It will probably become one of my favorite memories of that week!

Here's Alana with her second cousin, once removed, Russell....Ok, so I made that up - I have no idea how that stuff all works but I know they're related.
Lots of game playing went on - this is one of my favorite pics of several that I took while people were playing games. Lincoln, 6' 7'', sitting on a chair meant for a toddler!
We also took the time that evening to try and take a family picture - nothing formal as you can tell - just a record of the fact that we were all together and having a blast!
My mom will hate the fact that I'm posting this - but of the 4 we took she was pretty much dying of laughter in all but one of them. Plus, it's my blog and I LOVE this picture=) In case you don't know who we all are here's the breakdown....

Back Row - Phil, Chad, Kendrick, Dad, Lincoln, Matthew
Front Row - Helaine, Jenna, Mom, Sheena, Alisha
The following Sunday this were very busy for all of us. My parents were at a church in southern Maine and Kendrick and Jenna left. Matthew spoke in two different churches. Our former home church in Willimantic in the morning and then another church where Matthew's dad used to pastor in the evening. We, of course, enjoyed the am service and seeing many of the people that we once used to see each and every Sunday. It is interesting to see the many things that have changed over the course of 6 years, as well as the things that remain the same. The pm service, in Guilford, was maybe our smallest crowd so far but the question and answer time was great! There was so much interest and interaction from the people there which was so encouraging. Among them was one of Matthew's closest friends from growing up which was a treat for them both - the next week they got together and went out fishing (but don't bring it up since Kyle caught 3 and Matthew caught 0).

The next day Chad discovered a treasure in the garage which became the source of hours of fun for the kiddos! My cousin, Troy, had the day off from his job as a Game Warden and came over with his family to spend the afternoon with us.
Logan was sick that day - fever, cough, etc. - and spent it laying on the couch and napping. The call of the bounce house was too much for him and he had to try it out....this is what he did....=(

Zachery also found another fun thing for the kids to do and patiently gave them ride after ride around the lawn. And yes, that is their Grammy riding with them=)
Layla relaxing up against cousin Jesse...too cute!
Another outing, which I have no pictures of, was a girls day out to Bangor! You'll never guess what we went shopping for this time! Let's just say it's long and white and the only one to try anything on was Helaine=) But you'll have to wait for a certain day in September to get a look at those kind of pictures. And here's the coolest part of the story - my sister has asked Alana to be her flower girl, Monica to be a junior bridesmaid, and me to be the matron-of-honor!!! We are all so excited!!! On a side note, I'm trying to come up with something creative to use instead of matron-of-honor....something that doesn't sound so....matronly. Any ideas? Oh well, whatever they call me I'm just so glad, honored, emotional, and excited that she asked=)

2 comments:

Jonathan Johnson said...

Alisha, I got to be the matron of honor at Debra's wedding. . .maybe we could call it the most mature bridesmaid position? Or maybe it's just the oldest? :) :) :) Congrats! :)

Helaine DeMarte said...

ALISHA! That was a super post! I didn't know half of those things- like the bouncy castle, and the tractor mower rides! So fun! And I love ALL the pictures including the one we both know Mom wont like. ;) It's fun! :)
LOVE YOU!!!