Monday, November 2, 2009

Ladies Retreat

Halloween was not the only big event this weekend. On Friday night our church had its annual Ladies Retreat. What fun it was to be able to go this year! The last time I was able to attend was 3 years ago when my mom was the guest speaker and Jesse was less than 2 weeks old=) This year our speaker was Keri McClellan. When Matthew and I came to CBI 6 and 1/2 years ago we were not the only family who left a job, packed up all our stuff, and moved to another state to attend Bible school (a very puzzling decision to many people). When we arrived there were 5 other families that were also part of the school! How neat to get to know the Kunnaris and Fishers in their senior year, the McClellans and the Bergs in their junior year, and the Hills joining us in our freshmen year. So what a blessing it was that Keri, now a pastor's wife, was our speaker! She spoke on "Being a WOW Woman" - the first session was on Waiting, the second on Obedience, and the last one on Working. What an encouraging and challenging time! Of course we had to throw a little fun in there as well=) The first thing that takes place after we arrive is to eat, of course, and then after that the first session. Later in the evening we always do a craft. This year it was put together by Ann Powers, our very own quilting expert who even has her own shop in town. We had a piece of cloth already cut out and hemmed (although that's not the word they used), that we then embellished - using buttons, thread, lace, sequins, and OF COURSE ric rac!
Now, it's no secret that sewing - or anything crafty for that matter - is just not my forte. Before we left the house I was checking over the list of items to bring and it mentioned bringing ric rac for our craft....ric rac....are you kidding me?....what in the blazes is ric rac?....Well, my 16 year old daughter told me and explained it to me....=( When I told that story at the retreat I was prepared for some teasing, but - to my delight - our group was almost split half and half as to who knew what it was and who didn't=)
We sang lots of songs at the beginning of each session, Jenna and Liz Campbell were in charge of the music.
Of course after we did all of that we still stayed up for another long while talking and laughing about the usual topics that come up when you put a bunch of 'girls' together=) Then we went to our rooms and climbed into our bunk beds....college days all over again! The next morning we slowly rolled out of bed and went to a delicious breakfast! After that we had a few free minutes and most of the ladies went for a short walk while I called and chatted with Matthew, who I missed more this year than any other retreats before.
It just was such a fun time and such a beautiful place....who doesn't want to share that kind of thing with their best friend?
Our morning continued with the final two session and before we knew it, it was lunch time and the retreat was over!
How thoroughly I enjoyed this refreshing time with friends! (On a side note we all got to enjoy babies as well - one of the moms brought her 4 month old twins! Baby boy Avery and Baby girl Josie! Baby fever anyone....?)
A big thank you goes to these three WOW ladies for pulling of a great retreat. The time and effort they spent getting this all together was much appreciated! "Thank you Kellie, Sheri, and Keri!"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

haha... I like how Sheri's the one with her mouth open in that pic :D

Stephanie said...

It sounds like so much fun. I miss these kind of events. And I love that you had to spend your free time chatting with Matthew. You guys are too sweet.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a great retreat!!! :)

7harts01 said...

Sorry I missed out this year! Sounds like it was a good one!