Monday, March 15, 2010

Don't look for me in Buffalo Gap

For the next three days I will be in Kadoka, SD at the stellar looking Dakota Inn pictured below. In training me for a new job as an enumerator for the 2010 Census, Uncle Sam has spared no expense for lodging for myself and the other trainees. We are currently residing in the #4, out of four, rated hotel in this town. =) I am looking forward to the stories and experiences that I will have to share as a result of this unique experience!

So, as I sit here and listen to the 27th truck go by on the highway outside my wall, I will explain why I am here. A few weeks ago I came across a flyer describing the job openings for the upcoming census and decided to look into it a bit further. Long story short, my application was flagged for my bilingual abilities as well as my test scores. You see, according to the kind lady who administered the test to me, I am one of her golden ones. I was the only one there to take this examination that was to determine if I would be deemed worthy of being a census enumerator. As I began the test she assured me not to worry, I could retake it as many times as I needed to. After 30 minutes of strenuous brain activity in which I had to not only put things in numerical order, but alphabetical as well, I turned in my test. (I finished well before the 30 minute time limit but she HAD to give me the entire time....so we sat there, each staring at our own private section of white wall, waiting for the time to tick away.) She laid the answer key over the top of my answer sheet and, almost immediately, gasped!!! "AH! You're one of my golden ones," she exclaimed. You see, I'd gotten a 100%. I'm told I was one of the few....and really, I don't even know what to say to that. I'm not so much proud of myself as I am embarrassed for the rest of my countrymen....

And that folks is why I am here, at the #4 of four hotels in Kadoka, sitting in one of the rooms that received a 5.1 / 10 on the cleanliness rating, preparing to eat my meals in their 3.5 / 10 dining room.....and now do you understand why I'm excited about what adventures I may have to share with you in the near future??????

2 comments:

sheenarozelle said...

brilliant. have fun! heeheehee...

7harts01 said...

Oh Alisha!!=) I hope you make friends, have fun, and make memories that don't have to do with find any hairs the bed, shower, or food, or meeting any strange men, or women, named Bubba, at the special place you are staying! I will be praying that you will have increased mind abilities as you go through training...it sounds as though you will need it Golden one!=) See you soon!