Friday, March 12, 2010

Matthew's Birthday

So I just realized today that I had never posted about Matthew' s birthday party that took place almost 2 months ago....so skipping the usual introductory paragraph of excuses, I will jump right to it!!

My husband is 40.....if you know how to read between the lines, then those 4 words do a lot of explaining, that - for the sake of time and for the sake of kindness - I am going to just skip=) I will be gracious and loving hoping that the favor is returned when my turn rolls around. Of course, just so you all know, that isn't for many, many, MANY more years. (*Any comments stating other wise will be deleted)

I began plotting this conspiracy about 6 months before it took place. Early in the fall of last year I contacted his family in hopes that someone would be able to come out and celebrate with us all on this big day! Thankfully, although some of the secrets were leaked out, that one remained intact and was the best part of the entire day! Matthew's oldest brother, Randy, came out for a week long visit, arriving there just minutes before Matthew walked through the door. As Matthew came in he laughed and started to greet everyone then came over and gave me a hug. I told him that there was someone else who wanted to give him a hug, too. He turned around and looked and at first had NO idea who he was looking at.....then it finally registered....he stood there for a while just looking shocked before it sunk it!!!Of course Uncle Randy had some presents up his sleeve for not just the birthday boy, but for his nieces and nephews as well=)

I was worried from the beginning of the planning what to do as a theme, I would lay there awake at night sometimes and my mind would just NOT settle down....I wanted to make it extra special and not just any typical get together. I kept thinking of ideas and how to pull off the surprise and what I was going to do, etc. I was talked out of going with the "Over the Hill" theme and the usual cruel decorations that accompany that (guess I can save it for the next BIG one=), and went with the 70's theme instead. Matthew was born at the dawn of that decade and it seemed like we could have fun with it=) I think we did!!!!



It was fun to sit around and see some of these people come to life as they answered trivia questions about 70's TV shows, music, etc. Some of us were clueless but it was fun just the same! We had a good time visiting, opening cards, and sharing some fun memories we had of Matthew. And lets face it, you can't know Matthew for very long and not have a crazy memory of some kind or other!

The cake was another whole deal that made the day even better!!! It was beautiful, it perfectly fit the tye died theme, it was very yummy, AND I didn't have to make it! Thanks so much to Tarin for, once again, making a perfect cake!


The kids hung around for a little while, long enough to eat, before heading downstairs for a movie so that the grown ups could be a bit more relaxed. OK, so that I could be more relaxed=) I think Uncle Randy ended up skipping out on most of our party games and also headed down to the basement, but can you blame him? Who doesn't like "Kung-Fu Panda"?
Thanks Matthew for humoring me and enjoying yourself at the party=) I love you and hope I can be with you for 40 more years!!!

6 comments:

9Browns said...

Alisha,
You look groovy in the headband and Matthew just needs about six heavy gold chains around his neck! : ) Cool, Man! Outta sight!

Fun post!

Joan for the 9Browns

9Browns said...

Sorry, one more comment. LOVE the 'fros!!! Made me belly-laugh!

Happy to have survived the 70's (by God's Grace!)

J for the 9Bs

Helaine DeMarte said...

The cake: HOW IN THE WORLD! Awesome Tarin! :) And great post 'Lish, welcome back!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet idea, Alisha! How creative - and oh man, what a cool cake, amen to that! Very cool :)

Jen said...

You were both looking so so stellar!! Wow Alisha, loving the hair band!! ha ha!

Stephanie said...

You guys are so cute!!