Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy THIRTEENTH birthday, Zach!

As many of you know, yesterday was Zach's birthday. I did not forget to post but was waiting for the official birthday meal to take place at noon today....and yesterday was quite busy! So, Zach's 13 - now what?! The teen years have sprouted wings and are ready to fly, for the second time in our family. I've heard it said that teenagers have the desire to change the world and think they have the 'know-how' to do it, but can't get up early enough to make it happen! I can't make a prediction yet as to how it will go, we'll just have to keep you up to date as time passes. Honestly, though, it is an exciting time. I don't want my children to grow up and get older and change, but yet I love watching them start to become the adults they will one day be. It is healthy for them to become more independent, take on more responsibilities, have more freedom - we just pray as parents that we will have the wisdom to guide them through this process is a way that will be pleasing to the Lord. Our desire is to see them grow up to have their OWN relationship with Him.

And now for the pictures....Yesterday we packed a picnic lunch and headed to Wind Cave National Park to celebrate Zach's birthday and Father's Day as a family. I think the camera setting wasn't quite right, I was sooo excited about some of these pictures but they are not as clear as I had hoped. Boohoo....

We ate lunch....
gave out presents... went for a 'mini' hike... saw some wildlife...
enjoyed God's creation...
It was a beautiful day! I made a comment on the way home saying that my favorite thing to do was to spend time with my family doing something special, like this kind of outing...then I realized how much I sounded like my grandmother! Of course, Matthew and I are pretty happy to be back together, too=)
Today we finished off the birthday celebration. Zach had a friend over to spend the night - they stayed in a tent until around mid-night when we had a massive thunderstorm. Then they spent the day in the pool, trying out Zach's new bow, eating birthday cake and are now on their way to spend Zach's birthday money at Flags and Wheels which is a go-cart place.
So, Happy Birthday, Zach - Daddy and I love you and pray for you. There are several things over just the last few weeks that you have done that have made us so proud of you. Keep choosing to do right, keep giving it your all, keep being a good example to your little brothers and sister, and most of all keep walking with the Lord.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday, Zach!! What a beautiful day and celebration captured in pictures!!

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday Zach...looks like you all had a lot of fun!!