Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Homesick

I realize Matthew is in Uruguay right now but something about his being down there has made me homesick for Chile. I often have these moments but this week it seems particularly strong. So, I thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures of some of the scenery in Chile. None of them are mine but have all come from some friends - two missionary couples that are currently there serving their first term on the field, and another couple that has a goal of making it down there in January of 2009. These are friends I've known pretty much my whole life, kids I grew up with. So, thanks to the Garcias, Thompsons, and Flincks for sharing these pictures with me and thanks Stephanie, Kristi, and Danny for sharing the memories=)

The 'copihue' - Chile's national flower.
The famous grapes, which lead to the famous wines....!And, as anyone who has been there can tell you, the incredible food. The bread is made fresh daily, and the avocados taste 25 times better there than any I've ever eaten in the U.S. - sorry! Then there's the 'empanadas' - sort of like a turnover with either cheese or a meat mixture filling - yummy!
Chile is a long country and thus has a varying landscape with mountains on one side and the Pacific on the other.

These are taken in southern Chile of an active volcano, the view along the road that my friends Danny and Liz see every time they drive into camp, and then some oxen at work - something you probably won't see without leaving the capital city of Santiago and it's 6 million+ people!

Here is a famous geographical mark up in northern Chile.
Chile also has these great outdoor markets called 'ferias' where they sell everything from fruits and veggies to handmade leather shoes and wooden flowers.
And now for one of my favorites - Rev. George Black, or as I call him, Uncle George. He took his last furlough when he was in his mid 80's and returned for the last time to Chile wishing to live out his days in the work of the Lord. He turned 100 last November and Matthew and I were able to be there with one of our teams to help celebrate! What a testimony!
I know there were lots of pictures, but honestly, which one would you have left out?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love it, Alisha!

David and Kristi Flinck said...

Excellent post! Nice pictures ;)
We miss Chile too. Can't wait for you guys to visit us in Chile someday in the near future.
D&K

7harts01 said...

The pictures are beautiful! And hopefully you will be able to be there soon! We will be praying that way!=)