Saturday, October 3, 2009

Our Night Hike

Ever feel like doing something exciting and spur of the moment....just for a bit of a change, to add something refreshing to your day instead of the same old usual routine? Well, that was me yesterday afternoon - so I came up with a plan. After supper was over and the dishes all washed up we headed out the door. By that time it was 7 pm.
Our plan was to go into Wind Cave National Park through the back entrance and just get out and go for a night walk=) It was cooling off so I made sure everyone wore sweatshirts and hats, at the last minute I threw in another sweatshirt and a pair of gloves for the three little people. As we headed out the sun was long gone and the temperature gage dropped down to 37 F. Even the buffalo had bedded down for the night although they woke up enough to look at us. I tried over and over to get a good picture of the moon ~ it was so bright and big that we didn't even need the flashlights we'd brought.

We found a place to pull over at the top of a hill, a place we've stopped in the past just because the view is amazing and you can see for miles. Last night the perspective was so different....isn't it nice to get a different perspective of things sometimes? Anyway, we piled out of the Expedition and everyone wanted all the extra layers they could find so we bundled up and headed down the hill.
Oh it was fun! The kids all ran ahead while Jesse stayed back with Daddy and I. At one point I asked Matthew if he thought I was crazy for coming up with ideas like these as I sometimes do....his answer was that he was just glad that I'm low maintenance=)
It was really hard taking pictures. Basically I would point and zoom to where I thought it was right and then click - only after when I could go back and look at it could I tell if it had worked or not. On top of that it was really bright for the kids when the flash would go off in the middle of the dark, so that's why there are several pics with squinty eyes!
And even in the dark Logan found me flowers=)
Jesse picked a flower as well....but once he got back into the vehicle he realized that it now looked like this!
We had fun and said good night to the buffalo on the way home!
I was refreshed! "Thank you Lord for your creation, for my patient husband, for my fun kids, for a new perspective, for warm clothes, and for the FALL!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SO fun!!! :) p.s. Phil and I are looking at tickets trying to work SOMETHING out....

Jonathan Johnson said...

Were blessed by this post :) And great pics of dear Buffalo Gap, too!! We're homesick for SD :)