Thursday, July 31, 2008

FIVE YEARS AGO TODAY

My apologies for not refreshing the blog as often lately - our life just seems pretty calm right now without much going on. I don't mind when these kinds of weeks come along - as long as it doesn't last forever=) I like to keep things moving! Like I often say to Matthew, "Let's put some miles behind us, babe!" Well, five years ago today he did.

July 31st, 2003, was our first day in South Dakota. We arrived late in the afternoon one hot summer day after having driven 2,400 miles cross country from the state of Maine. Within minutes of our arrival a lady walked up to our door; I assumed it was our landlady but it was Diana Kunnari and that was just the beginning. Within a few short hours the truck was unpacked, beds put together and made, the kitchen items were in their place and we were headed over to Dan and Diana's for supper. What a welcome! So many people came and helped and we felt at home from the beginning. I remember Matthew and I asking ourselves who that dark-skinned guy was that just introduced himself as Matt - that Sunday we found out he was to be our pastor=)
The details of that long trip are still fresh in my mind as the Lord protected and provided miraculously on what could have been a dangerous ride. Matthew drove a big Budget moving truck (BTW - we DO NOT recommend them) hauling his pickup on a trailer. Logan, who was 15 months old, rode right beside Daddy the whole way. I drove a van older than most of my kids and had Chad, Monica, Zach and George with me. The Lord protected through potential roll-overs, a blown-out tire in the trailer, keys locked in the truck, broken brake lines in the van...and who know what else. We thank Him, even today, for bringing us here to South Dakota ~ where we have made ourselves a home! So, here's a few pictures from days gone by - just because for me today is full of memories=)
A couple pics from before Logan was even around....

The year before we left...And the week before we left...

"Our" river behind our house..."Thank you Lord for leading our steps, may your Word continue to be a light unto our path."

1 comments:

Melissa said...

Sniff, Sniff... Thanks for sharing! The pics are great!