Sunday, January 13, 2008

It's not about me

It seems like we live in a day and age where there is a lot of emphasis on ME. True happiness comes by pleasing me, in order to do for others we have to put ourselves first, I have MY rights, etc., etc. Therefore, having a servants heart and putting ourselves last on the list is not a common mindset. But it is the heart and mind that Christ had while here on this earth and we are to follow His ways and not be sucked into the culture that we are immersed, in no matter how appealing it may seem. I remember my Mom telling me the importance of the word JOY through this little song:
"J is for Jesus, for He has first place,
O is for others we meet face to face,
Y is for you in whatever you do,
Put yourself last and spell JOY."
So, as a family how do we teach our children the importance of being a servant? We are all born with our own needs and wants as our primary concern so it takes a conscious effort to change our way of thinking. Matthew and I are learning that what we do and how we act in front of our kids will be imitated a lot more easily than just what we say or tell them to do. So, our family is doing the church cleaning for this month and each one is doing his own part. Please don't think I say all this to tell you to follow our example because we are such great servants. What I'm trying to say is we need to follow Christs example.



Here are some pictures, they aren't the greatest, but at least you can see that each one had their own job to do!





Alana's job was to play with Jesse and keep him entertained.
Phi 2:5-7 Have this mind in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: who, existing in the form of God, counted not the being on an equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men.

4 comments:

David and Kristi Flinck said...

What a great way to teach the family about servanthood.

L said...

I know your mothers name. And that makes your post even nicer.

Jonathan Johnson said...

Thank you for sharing - such a good reminder of what my perspective needs to be!! Thanks and God bless! :)
- Denielle

Anonymous said...

good deal. That's how mom and I started